Geology Picture of the Day – Mono Lake Tufa
Earlier today on my way to work, I was thinking of places I haven’t been to in a long time (or ever been to). Owens Valley, on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada popped into my head. Besides Mt. Whitney, one of the most famous things in Owens Valley are the Tufa Towers on Mono Lake (which are actually located quite a ways north of Mt. Whitney).
Image Credit: KellyBear1 on flickr.
KellyBear1 has quite a few great pictures of the Owens Valley and other desert areas in California.
For some truly awesome tufa towers, check out the Trona Pinnacles.
Similar Posts on Geology News:
- Geology Picture of the Day – Tafoni
- Geology Picture of the Day – Barstow Syncline
- Geology Picture of the Day – Hoodoos
- Geology Picture of the Day – Fault Scarp
- Geology Picture of the Day – Tavurvura