Part 2: Bay Area Quake Potential
The East Bay Express has posted the second part of their series about the earthquake hazards of the Bay Area. This article deals with the aftermath of a major quake on the Hayward Fault.
If the quake hits during the workweek, hundreds of thousands of East Bay residents will be on their own in San Francisco. The city may emerge relatively unscathed if the quake centers on the Hayward Fault’s northern section, according to computer modeling cited by structural engineer and risk-assessment expert Ronald Hamburger. But if the epicenter is on the southern end of the fault and the shock waves pulsate northward? “A rupture on the southern section, going from south to north, just creams San Francisco,” Hamburger said.
Similar Posts on Geology News:
- Sichuan Quake Ruptured in 2 Stages
- Hayward Fault Earthquake Scenarios and Video
- New Forecast for California Earthquakes
- Southern San Andreas ready to explode
- Hayward – America’s Most Dangerous Fault